North Dakota PTA (NDPTA) was founded in May of 1915 and was first officially recognized at the National Congress of Parents and Teachers convention in Portland, Oregon on May 12-16, 1915. The first President of NDPTA was Dr. R. A. Archer of Valley City. Initially, there were about 200 members throughout the state, with no local units. The first unit formed in the state was the "Pioneer" unit and was established in Cathay, ND in 1923.
Today, the NDPTA is governed by a Board of Directors with the primary to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.